Amos Yee believes Harvard cancelled his talk because of his controversial views on sexual age of consent laws

Singaporean vlogger Amos Yee expressed outrage over Harvard College Open Campus Initiative’s abrupt cancellation of his scheduled talk that was supposed to have taken place at the Harvard University campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts earlier this week.

The organisers had cancelled the event, entitled ‘Jailed for Dissent,’ about 24 hours before Yee was set to give his first ever public talk.

Yee had been jubilant about the prospect of speaking at the prestigious Ivy League institution and expressed his disappointment over the cancellation of the talk in the latest vlog on his YouTube channel.

The teenager speculated that the organisers may have cancelled the talk due to his controversial views on sexual age of consent laws – Yee advocates that such laws should be eliminated.

Standing by his views on the matter, which many have taken as proof that Yee supports paedophilia, Yee asserted:

“I feel that if a person below the age of 18 perfectly consents to having sex with an adult, he should be allowed to do it. And the adult who has sex with that person should not be sent to jail for it.
“I had thoughts that I wanted to have sex with 20-year-olds when I was 16. So why shouldn’t I be able to do it? And if I did do it, it does not at all make sense that legally, the 20-year-old that my 16-year-old self had sex with should go to prison for it?”

Vehemently denying claims that those who have “misrepresented” his views on the matter spread – that Yee promotes rape and child abuse – the teenager stated that he would “never promote violence to anyone.”

Yee then griped that this was supposedly the same reason why he was banned from the Mythopoeic Society Conference (MythCon) last month, which he had been initially invited to attend.

Upset that Mythcon and Harvard college are “completely discounting all the pro-human rights work that I have done,” Yee declared:

“This really goes against the spirit of free speech that MythCon and the Harvard College Open Campus Initiative claimed that they want to cultivate.”

1. “Discount all the pro-human rights work that I have done”

There are people who died for human rights. People who invested their whole life to be an activist for human rights, being in jailed for decades, endured starvation and physical violence.

No. Human right activism is something you paid lip-service to, with 1/2 hour short YouTube videos.

Don’t put yourself on that pedestal when obviously you are not.

2. Amos, you were brought up in the wrong environment. Unsure what has your parents constantly laments about when you were younger. I have had a foul and violent Father. I choose not to follow his steps.
    You need counselling from very kind people. Stop the rebellious streak as you can be better…Look forward and learn to speak good words.

3. Edwin Kwan says:

Amos – welcome to the land where you so cherish for free speech. You will learn soon what is just talking and talking with responsibility. If US do not want you, I am not sure if you will be welcomed by others in Singapore.

Cer ML ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

May probably be back in a wooden box with his rebellion attitude. Trying to be next USA candid President candidate, if so The World Must Crazy!

Cer ML ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Hahaha probably he ate too much of american ice cream whilst in US detention prison& choke on those huge loads destroying his voice box.

4. Serene Sia says:

It will only reflect badly on Harvard if he were to give a speech. It is incredible that he has the audacity to want to give a speech…on what grounds? What credentials does he have? What a joke!!!

5. Cai Chen says:

C’mon Amos, many sheepy fans of yours in Sg are eagerly waiting to see you exercise your incredible intellectual brilliance and linguistic prowess to sway the American public in supporting your stance on child sex.!

Lester Kok ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

(A repost of my Fb update)
    An update as of Nov. 12: the Nov.13 Harvard-student scheduled event to invite Amos Yee to a Q and A open forum has been abruptly canceled. This is the second back-to-back ‘disinvitation’ from organizations since his release in late Sept. but why should anyone be surprised by that? Just re-visit what I have posted below earlier. And yes, Amos did receive his Fb ban just days after Fb’s COO Sheryl Sandberg paid a personal visit to PM Lee’s office.
    ……………………………………………………………………………
    If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times about Amos: ‘He is not so much unreformed as unreformable at this stage of his life.’
    And just recently, this is what I commented in my recent article (see link below) on Amos’ state of being an asylee…
    1. His incipient relegation to obscurity… “Your son Amos is now a nonentity, a fish out of water, a novelty no more…”
    2. His financial self-implosion in 3 months… “He added he does not intend to assume any part-time work as it is beneath his interest… so he is counting on his putative online fans to financially support him indefinitely while he trifles with his video diversion. But I’m afraid, poor Amos has misread his asylum host country big time — there won’t be a sucker born every minute in America. His shameless ask to be showered with further private largess will fall on deaf ears and I’ll give him 3 months, max, before he self-implodes.”
    3. His social exile… “Your son is now toxic material, his future uncertain in the U.S…”