PM Lee tearfully appeals to siblings for reconciliation in Parliament

In closing the 2-day parliamentary debate on the Oxley Road feud, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong teared up as he recalled his father’s wish for him to take care of his siblings in his place.

He added that he did not expect tensions between the siblings to enfold so explosively and said that he hopes he can reconcile with them in the future:

“When I was about 13, my father had told me, ‘If anything happens to me, please take care of you mother, your younger sister and brother.’
“Singapore was then part of Malaysia and we were in a fierce fight with the central government and the communalists. My father didn’t tell me but he knew his life was in danger.
“Fortunately, nothing happened to my father then. He brought up the family and I thought we had a happy family and he lived a long, full life.
“Little did I expect that after my parents died, these tensions would erupt with such grievous consequences – and after so many years, I will be unable to fulfill the role which my father hoped I would.
“So I hope, one day, these passions will subside and we can begin to reconcile.”

WATCH: PM Lee Hsien Loong tears up in Parliament recounting how his father told him to take care of the family.RECAP: https://cna.asia/2tkKGT4

Posted by Channel NewsAsia on Tuesday, 4 July 2017

1. Kirby Wong says:

Why your father clearly documented that he wanted to demolish 38 Oxley, you tried to second guess/re-interpret his will, then you pick some words he said years ago no body know and cry over it? You mean that will not important, this will more important? Your judgement presides over your father’s will?

2. He cry sing song dance also no point, he need to behave like an elder Brother call both sibling and have a heart to heart talk and conclude, if he has to give in he must because he only has two choices to sue or to make things right simple. All this additional drama is not necessary

3. Alan Chew says:

Your sibling allegations came with proof, in black and white but your reply is, youdont have any but instead try to use your ministers to do taiji..

4. Ngan Solo says:

I can also cry and ask him why, why housing so expensive thus rental goes up resulting food n drinks all expensive. Why coe so high yet still collect erp resulting expensive food n drinks? Next time we see any ministers we must cry

5. Paul Ng says:

Perhaps Mr late LKY accepted the idea of retain his house because he know that he is unable to stop the government final decision after he left this world. However his heart is against the idea. Do you understand and respect your father’s heart in the first place as the eldest son? Dishonorable Son!

William Lim ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

i felt like pitying you, but i pity you, who pity me? you import so many fts/prs/no-ns sgs to steal our jobs, housing and healthcare.
    have to wait for months to see specialists or dentists.
    hdb bto overpriced.
    cpf @ 65.
    coe/erp and cars beyond reach, and mrt often breakdowns.
    swiss costs of living.

we are really crying, did you hear us?!!! or like lim sia sway, you also deaf frog?

7. James Pang says:

Should use this:

And I quote from who LHL said about HC in regards to temasek: “If Ho Ching ever behaves improperly, I have no doubt that the Temasek Board, the President and CPA know what their duty is.”

So you/they’ll do the right thing?

But now you don’t sue your siblings while claiming their allegations are inaccurate?

Contradicting?

Want who to believe?

8. Angie Foo says:

I’m from msia & actually this is none of my business. I already don’t like him when he visited our “supreme kns leader” Pm najib when he admitted to hospital.

9. Kevin Mok says:

Wrote a long post. Looked at all the Singaporeans around me who doesn’t give a flying f**k. Deleted post. Just not worth the while!

10. Alan Chia says:

Every morning I travel past ERP gantrieSss I also cry leh.

World oil prices at all time low. Our fuel cost is still What? $2 per L?
    Higher energy costs means higher standard of living. WE are bearing the costs!
    Increase FL levies
    Increase water pricing 30% Increase CPF minimum sum . Increase COE premiums
    Increase parking coupon by 20% Increase CPF contributions
    Increased MRT breakdowns
    Increased number of idiots to 70%

11. We are demented, So we need to be constantly reminded that 1. LKY is his father. 2. His father has sacrifice for Singapore. 3. His father is dead. Not that we disagree but this broken record is really painful.

12. Lim LG says:

HE SAID LKY WANTED HIM (WHEN HE WAS STILL A TEENAGER) TO TAKE CARE OF HIS SIBLINGS IF LKY DIED THEN.

BUT HE AND HIS SIBLINGS HV ALL GROWN UP AND MARRIED WITH EACH FAMILY TO TAKE CARE OF, EXCEPT LWL UNMARRIED.

THEREFORE, NO NEED FOR HIM TO CARE FOR HIS GROWN UP SIBLINGS. THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES.

BUT WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT IS TO FULFIL BOTH OF HIS PARENTS WISHES, IF HE IS TRULY A FILIAL SON.

SO, BY COMPROMISING WITH SIBLINGS IS A SHOW OF HIS CARE TO HIS SIBLINGS DIRECTLY, FOR WHOM THEY BOTH WANTED TO FULFIL PARENTS’ WISHES.

13. He knows that he is losing that’s why shedding crocodile tears to gain sympathy from Singaporeans. Did it during elections and 70% got fooled. Now , want to use this same method again! When going against WP , Roy , he is so heartless and didn’t show any mercy. And now shedding tears! Be a man!

14. It is similarly, me. I am the eldest of 8 siblings. Started working in Singapore with a monthly salary of $200.00 in 1972. Sent by money order via POSBank of $80.00 to $120.00 monthly to support parents bringing up the siblings, sacrificing personal needs and wants. But today.., siblings are much better off than me but when I mentioned what I contributed, all get very uptight and passes remarks that it is only a meagre sum… forgetting how much I deprived my personal needs for them. Well.., I have done my fair share as being ELDEST!

1. It is not that I want anything in return. It is just stating how as eldest, we sacrificed for the younger siblings forgoing our own comfort, pleasure and entertainment. To them, it is my duty being eldest.

15. That’s it? Just shed crocodile tears in Parliament, fold your arms and move on? I don’t think any level headed Singaporean will accept it just like that. Have you no shame Mr Prime Minister, you and your ministers??

16. What drama! The closing scene of his Wayang? Not good enough! Please lah. Resign from being the Prime Minister of Singapore immediately. Go for a long holiday so that you can do some reflection, and then move on with your life. That’ll be good for yourself and good for Singapore. Be a good son.

17. As expected, after 2 days of self defence, all sweep under the carpet and they expect Singaporean will forget this issue. You wait long long lah…. the next election will reflect how you will be judge by Singaporeans. Down and down …..that will bring more oppositions into the Parliament.

18. Low Jasper says:

Not again. Another actor?
    Since late LKY departure
    We already have few Singers
    We also have one actor with glasses and cry like soap opera
    Suddenly another new actor?

ABOVE NEVER HAPPEN WHEN LATE LKY IN CONTROL

19. Ken Lim says:

Parliament is a very powerful place. Makes people cry . I remember vaguely some other minister cry too. Who was that? My memory ails me.

20. Daniel Ong says:

PM LHL, If you were truly sincere I am SURE Wei Ling and Hsien Yang will ultimately agree and maintain the brotherly/sisterly love amongst yourselves. But, you were UNCOMPROMISING in wanting to preserve 38 Oxley Road. What is TRULY your objective? After having said ALL the terrible things about your siblings and then leaving them no choice but to retaliate you will have a very hard time trying to reconcile with them. Defending yourself in the ‘Kangaroo Parliament’ where you decide what is right or wrong shows you out that you are hiding The Truth! In the Court of Public Opinion you are clearly in the WRONG!

21. Diana Wong says:

PM Lee has done it right to encourage family reunion.

MR & MRS LKY would also wish for their family unity.

There’s no others closer than your own family.
    Whatever it is,
    Blood is thicker than water.

Have faith and confidence PM Lee that God will reunite you and yr siblings.

Blessings to you and both HY and WL.

22. Maybe when he was 13 he was a good boy and dad was joking with him. So, many decades later, look at what a “dishonourable” son he’s become. When all else fails, use tears but Singaporeans wanna vomit when we see this old tactic. Hope his siblings are cooked with his ways

23. Ace Chew says:

even now he is still milking the old man legacy!! truly a dishonorable son. kenna cornered until must mention the old man name and his funeral speech? go ahead and close the case and see if singaporean still have the confident in you as pm.

24. Gary Tay says:

When you can’t convince, you cry…this is so lame for the power-welding PM of Singapore to resort to this as last ditch attempt to salvage his situation. A real man would have close this session with a sincere apology and announcement of resignation as PM.

25. Now that he is caught and exposed as a liar as a son of LKY, as SG pm, and as an individual, he is using sympathy card and again using LKY’s name to get the public to overlook his crimes which is not just about LKY’s will, but how he has been using the organs of the state to oppress the people who spoke up against corruption and injustice. His unforgiving, vindictive and corrupt character must be taken into account and justice must served before we can talk about reconciliation..

26. What hapoened to the IRON in him can buckle so easily what nonsense ? I am sure yr siblin5gs wants you to answer in a court of law ?5
    1. Abuse of powers
    2. Conflict of Interest
    3. TRANSPARENCY N ACCOUNTABILTY
    Crying is just SIMPLY LAME PL CHUT ANOTHER PATTERN WE ARE SICK AND TIRED OF THE DRAMA ONCE TOO OFTEN !!!

1. And also The NO BLAME CULTURE!!!! WTF!!! We ordinary citizens have to pay for everything that the gov implements without question and now we have to entertain all this bullshit????!!!!!@+-_$!$-^€=€√€₽€

27. Oh please. This is not the platform to start getting emo about. For goodness sake, tis is Parliament where tears are not to be traded for important matters affecting the country. I find tis entire performance wholly unnecessary and unbecoming of the supposed leader of the country. Clearly not champion material to lead further. Enuff said.

Leslie Chia ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

It reminds of the scene of Mr Chuck Schumer minority leader of US senate shedding his so called crocodile tears in US senate on repeal n replace Obama care. Mr Trump nickname his as “crocodile Schumer”. What you think?

29. cried in parliament? go home cry to your wife earning millions off us civilians u lousy actor..! u and trump all the same type of greedy kind sucking us dried..

30. Cai Lee says:

Dear Sir do take care but remember to demolish the 38 OXLEE house for itis not just your father will but your mother’s wish too. So respect them and do it as children for without them you 3 siblings are non existence. No matter what agendas or $$$ (or not) LHY and LWL for the house have …are NOT important than parent will and wish. You should just demolish the house when LWL decide to leave the house period. As NHB is just rubbish to be involved .here Singapore are in the high technology that can 3D of 38Oxley house can be easily obtained.

31. Playing psychological games with Singaporeans again. Practicing magic again..the magical powers of tears…

Parliament is not the place to reconcile with your siblings or wives or husbands or children or whatever.

1. Recall his father’s tears after being booted out of Malaysia. Now he’s recreating that moment when his siblings booted him out of d family….very funny….lol

32. Was he/r pants on fire? Also known as crocodile tears. Believe this hermaphrodite at your own risk. The 2% extra GST for the poor where did that go to? Once a lier always a lier.

1. Tony there are many out there who drank the koolaid and believe everything this incompetent govt is feeding them. Until these minions wake up, Singapore in just going down hill.

2. Tan Tony says:

First time , cry say sry . After win election , open floodgate , make singaporean jobless , up water bill , up erp , up Coe , up levy , up Cpf ms , now cry then what next . Enforce ISA

33. Eric Chin says:

We are not daft so pls stop insulting us with your crocodile tears. We want the issues on abuse of power, nepotism and lying under oath resolved with a full investigation.