Siblings were unhappy that Lee Kuan Yew left Oxley house to eldest son, PM Lee

The Prime Minister has taken to Facebook to apologise to Singaporeans over the Oxley-squabble. He acknowledged that the dispute has affected Singapore’s reputation and Singaporeans’ confidence in the Government.

He said that Mr Lee Kuan Yew left the property at 38 Oxley Road to him as part of his equal share of his estate, but his siblings were not happy about this. He said that he failed in his attempts to deal with their unhappiness privately.

In describing his siblings accusations against him as “baseless”, he promised to address them in a Ministerial Statement in Parliament on 3 July. He said the party-Whip will be lifted and all Members of Parliament will be urged to vigorously question him and his Cabinet on the issue.

I will speak in Parliament on the matter of 38 Oxley Road on 3 July. Watch my statement explaining this by clicking on the link below, or read the full text here: on.pmo.sg/2rvplEv. – LHL

Posted by Lee Hsien Loong on Monday, 19 June 2017

The following is the text of his Speech.

Good evening. Over the last week, Singaporeans have been disturbed and confused by news of the private dispute between my siblings and me. I deeply regret that this dispute has affected Singapore’s reputation and Singaporeans’ confidence in the Government.

As your Prime Minister, I apologise to you for this. And as the eldest of the siblings, it grieves me to think of the anguish that this would have caused our parents if they were still alive.

I had done everything possible to avoid this state of affairs. My father left the property at 38 Oxley Road to me as part of my equal share of his estate, but my siblings were not happy about this. I tried to deal with their unhappiness privately. I offered to transfer 38 Oxley Rd to my sister for a nominal $1. Unfortunately that offer failed. I then sold the house to my brother at a fair market valuation, and donated all my proceeds to charity.

I had hoped that this would satisfy them. There should be no reason for any further quarrel, since I no longer own the house and I do not take part in any Government decisions on the house. However, my siblings have decided to go out and make serious allegations publicly. For example, they say that I am using my position as Prime Minister to influence the Ministerial Committee chaired by DPM Teo Chee Hean. These allegations go beyond private and personal matters, and extend to the conduct of my office and the integrity of the Government.

Much as I would like to move on, and end a most unhappy experience for Singaporeans, these baseless accusations against the Government cannot be left unanswered. They must be and will be dealt with openly and refuted.

When Parliament sits on 3 July 2017, I will make a Ministerial Statement to refute the charges. All MPs will then have the opportunity to raise questions for themselves and their constituents. I have instructed that the PAP party whip be lifted. I urge all MPs, including the non-PAP MPs, to examine the issues thoroughly and question me and my Cabinet colleagues vigorously. I hope that this full, public airing in Parliament will dispel any doubts that have been planted and strengthen confidence in our institutions and our system of government.

As public servants, my Ministers and I will always protect the integrity of our institutions, and uphold the strict standards separating private affairs from our public duties. We are determined to repair the damage that has been done to Singapore. We will continue to lead our nation and serve you to the best of our ability.

1. Jin Ng says:

The biggest show in Singapore history. Bet it will win all awards available. Directed by PAP, Cast by PAP, Act by PAP, Vote by PAP, Winner – PAP. Hooray I clap for you

2. SY Kong says:

If LHL had decided to sell his shares to LHY, than why still set-up a secret ministerial committee to decide on the fate of 38 Oxley Road…if this is not fixing and abuse of power, what is?

3. Keehong Lu says:

Dear PM Lee, u hv failed as a son to uphold yr father N mother last wishes. u hv failed as a PM in this particular instance using state resources to settle a family issue or a legal issue involving possible “questionable” setting of your father’s last will (since u belatedly expressed disquiet abt it). Repent n STOP this circus. PLEASE. Peace to the LEEs n Sgp.

4. The dispute has damaged LHL’s reputation not Singapore’s. Someone has can be the PM.. Has LHL cosidered stepping aside his position as PM till such time his name and integrity is cleared

5. Wilson Peh says:

in fact if u think you have a case on defemation and your integrity is at stake, you have to seek justices n redress by issue a legal letters to both! Take to parliament doesn’t show or clear our doubts since your siblings are not in the House to debate!

6. Sonny Chan says:

Shouldn’t LHY n LWL be included in the Q n A..??? after all who in Parliament knows more about this “saga” than LHL’s siblings. No sense in just having only LHL’s version

7. “I then sold the house to my brother at a fair market valuation, and donated all my proceeds to charity.” OK, I’m very confused, since he said he sold his share to his brother then he will have no share of the house, then the house is the private property of his brother and sister. How come still have this Ministerial Committee to decide the fate of the house ? And also if it is a private matter, then why this Ministerial Committee ?

8. Can Singapore citizens trust a person who has a JOKER face? He may be smiling & treating you well, IN FRONT OF YOU. But at back he were stab hard or sabo hard to you, when you are not alert or in the dark.

9. Dear Mr PM Lee, this is a private family matter – why are you presenting your disposition to a parliamentary session? It is NOT an national issue. Conversely, it is not fair that your 2 other siblings are NOT given the same opportunity to present their disposition to the same audience n be telecast live. I trust you plan to telecast live or have press coverage. If your siblings are not given quid pro quo, then I see a question of integrity n trust being raised and their allegations being merited. As I had earlier suggested, your siblings and you bring your case to an independent place ie: London or Brussels, for a fairer hearing n judgement. This ‘play of yours’ definitely could smell foul…

10. Who else in Singapore dare to vigorously question PM, except Dr Chee Soon Juan and his siblings
    Ling and Yang showed us all the evidence, emails, etc
    Certainly, Loong knew the ministerial committee wanted to take over the bungalow, then why sell to Yang at 24 million plus 12 million for charity !
    No wonder Ling said that Loong bully Yang!
    If only LKY has a very charitable ♥, then he should donate the bungalow to charity organization instead of giving to his favorite eldest son!
    Now, LKY will jump up from Mandai and be in parliament debates on 3rd July 2017
    Just wonder if we can view live telecast on the debates

11. IMHO, I feel this whole fiasco between the siblings does not augur well for LHL’s integrity, public and private image, and his leadership. He has to remember he is the PM of the country. He is the first son of LKY which has a high degree of international attention. He is expected to be at least somewhat like his Father in turning out sterling results for the country. But this situation that arose was no hole that was dug overnight. The turf was already experiencing some degree of neglect; absence of active communication and possibly suspicions felt in this turf war. And as eldest child, his pernicious failure to engender trust and harness the sanctity of family values now sees an irreparable relationship that severed at the jugular; affecting downstream ties between cousins, in-laws (out-laws), nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, grandkids, and the entire machinery linked to the families of LKY and KGC. I cannot foresee them ever reuniting as a family.

As Tolkien succinctly puts it, “And so the kingdom of Gondor sank into ruin, the line of kings failed, the white tree withered and the rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men.”

12. JQ Wong says:

Who is the one who said he will spend all his effort fixing oppositions if they got into parliament?? Quote: “I want to assure all Singaporeans that this matter will not distract me and my Cabinet colleagues from our responsibility to govern Singapore, and to deal with more important national issues, including the pressing economic and security challenges we face.”

13. Lo Stanley says:

Step down as a pap Secretary General . And ask your wife to resign her post as a CEO of TH . You must not be a Chairman of GIC . Everything’s control by you and your wife . You think your MP will against you even no party whips , who dare to deny him from telling lies ? Maybe you should step down 6 month or more and get a independent committee appointed by the citizen of Singapore . This’s family matter ! Do not waste tax payer money to let your lackery and enunchs speak for you ! You’re abusive your power . Parliment is there to discuss national issue and public interests . Not your private fuction room !

14. Cai Lee says:

Live yekecast please include the ministers / WP questioning and the media should not short change the public viewers the Singaporean.

15. Billy Tsy says:

Ministerial committee formed before or after Will gone public? Why ministers are involved in private family feud? It is within the family. Why you need a third party? Ministers not enough then put in the president.

1. Albert Tan says:

Billy, of course it’s formed after our beloved MM LKY passed on.

NONE in the parliamentary committee WOULD DARE TO PARTICIPATE DURING OUR MM LKY’S LIFETIME.

16. Abbey Road says:

If there is so much confidence that means the stage will only reflect his truth and nothing but his truth. Then everyone takes the high road and resolve amicably n our pm comes out a winner!

17. “He said the party-Whip will be lifted and all Members of Parliament will be urged to vigorously question him and his Cabinet on the issue.” I want to see how many in Parliament will have the balls to ” Vigorously question him and his cabinet on the issue”.

1. Lo Stanley says:

You’ll see the MPs vigorously carry his ball ! Some may act as a animals take out his pants and lick his ass . Those will awarded a few more executive post from GIC or TH . Just like Lim Boon Heng . He cry and now Political remuneration with TH Chairman as a figurehead to Jinx . Lim boon heng is the mother fucker who suggest CPF money should extend till 70 years old or till we die . No party whips but you’re still the party Secretary General. The MPS next election will depend on their PLP skill and you’ll choose a comfortable ward to get elected . They’ll sing song together inside the parliament and suck him hard

2. Thomas Teo says:

Nailouk Loh , all MIW can only ask n answer prepared questions. Maybe alrdy know or are preparing for those who are going to raise questions on that day.

18. Low Aylwin says:

But this bag a big question, why a family affair needs a parliamentary debate??

And if it is to justify on the allegations, should it be the high courts???

The parliament sessions are use to discuss national issues like jobs, salary and economy growth of aingapore… terrorism… laws and legislation…

Not on some family affairs

1. Raj Kumar says:

The importance on this issue observing how it is reported just from this Page gives an Idea that it has to be discussed in Parliament. It is a media fueled issue to be precise than a actual issue to discuss in Parliament.

19. Mark Chan says:

LHY has accused PM Lee of
    – lying to Parliament
    – lying under oath
    – abuse of power using state organs

This needs to be proven in a court of law, where evidence will be produced.

PM Lee will just go to Parliament where the PAP has majority control.

There are separation of powers in Singapore to prevent abuse of power between different branches. The legislative branch (PAP Ministers) should let the judiciary branch do the job in this case. The judiciary has the legal authority to examine the evidence and make judgement.

All the Prime Ministers of Singapore (LKY, GCT, LHL) have successfully sued individuals for defamation in a court of law.

In fact, former Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong said that if a minister does not sue when defamed, he must leave cabinet.

“We have an understanding that if a minister is defamed and he does not sue, he must leave cabinet.”
    – Goh Chok Tong, Asiaweek, Dec 3, 1999