Singaporeans slam ‘shameful’ new revisions to Car Park Label Scheme for persons with disabilities

The new revisions to the Car Park Label Scheme for persons with disabilities have come under fire from concerned citizens.

Under the new rules, only those with bulky mobility aids will be eligible to park in disability carpark lots. This includes those who use wheelchairs and walking frames but excludes those who use crutches and quad sticks who are currently eligible for the scheme.

Powerlifting paralympian Kalai Vanen excoriated the new rules. The international and national gold-medalist lost his left leg when he was 22 after doctors had to amputate it due to a tumour. He relies on the use of special prosthetics and as such, may not be eligible to park in specially demarcated car lots for persons using mobility aids, under the new rules.

In a post on his Facebook page, Kalai Vanen harshly criticised the policy changes and the well-paid policymakers who are enforcing the changes as “a bunch of idiots.”

“People with crutches and quad sticks no longer eligible for the class 1 parking label when the the new rules set in? An example of, how policy changes are made by a bunch of idiots who have no understanding of the real impact to those affected. And we pay them well, from tax payer’s money. Inclusive society, my foot!”

Kalai Vanen’s daughter, Tanisha Vanen, also thoroughly disparaged the new scheme, calling it shameful:

“Firstly, these policy makers should get themselves a pair of crutches, try parking next to a car that’s within close proximity, and try to see if they can get out without issue. Then pause for a second, and reflect on how physically tiring it is to get from the car to their destination.
“Secondly, if there is an increased demand for these class 1 and 2 stickers over the years, how about regularly checking to make sure unauthorized vehicles are not parked in these spots so much of the time, so authorized drivers can actually park. And what about allocating a few more parking spaces for drivers with physical and other disabilities. Inclusive society? This is far from it. Such a shame.”

Janet Puah who contracted polio at the age of ten and moves around with the aid of special prosthetics and elbow crutches is in a similar situation.

Janet, who is employed with the Singapore Kindness Movement, said that she anticipates facing difficulties if she will no longer be eligible to park in special parking lots. She added that it is ironic that she will not be able to park in disability lots with the car she bought under the LTA’s disabled persons scheme:

“I bought the car under the LTA’s disabled persons scheme with the exemption of the Additional Registration Fee (ARF) and the Certificate of Entitlement (COE). And it is ironic under the scheme that I will no longer be able to park in an accessible parking lot because I have a pair of elbow crutches with me.
“I drive to and from work everyday and travel to various parts of Singapore as I am unable to get around in a train or bus. When I park in the handicap lot, the space is wider and it is easier for me to manoeuvre in and out of the car. From past experience, when a normal driver parks close to me, I am not able to even get out of the car. So the handicap lot is very good for people like us.
“Whenever it rains and I can’t carry an umbrella, if I were to park further away, I have to walk a bit more in the rain. With a disability for so many years and losing strength needed to cope with my pain of disability, I need extra stamina to be able to move around. If I were to park further away, I have to walk more and it is physically draining.”

Janet also echoed Tanisha’s sentiment that policymakers should put themselves in the shoes of those who need to use less bulky mobility aids but still need the ease of disability car lots:

“Just thinking aloud who did the government consult on such an important matter like this. They should try walking on crutches for a day to feel how it is like for a genuine and truly disabled person to struggle and trying to get on with life.”

The new rules are set to be enforced from November. Persons with disabilities who qualify under the current scheme may continue to park in disability lots until the revised scheme goes into effect.

1. The govt reimburses the taxi fares of persons with disability who take taxi EVERYDAY to school and work. This policy change should be appraised together with all the other policies targeted at helping persons with disability with their transport needs.

2. Joe Tan says:

Bloody government is boiling our blood…. same things last time when they do only allow taxi to pick up and designated taxi stand… feeding bunch of idiots running the country….

William Lim ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

soon they may only allow disabled (those on wheelchairs) to buy these cars (no coe or arf).
    what ? not surprised lah, heartless busteds – ‘old folks collect cardboards for exercise, dignity and environment. now, old folks work cos they don’t want to stay at home. ‘ they work cos no money, and are embarrassed to tell people. and avoid difficult questions, ‘why kids didn’t give you money?’

4. Gerry Lai says:

Well said indeed….. They hv bn as arrogant as d colonials who exploited n ruled over us!
    This is a new form of ”colonialism” which we do not need!!!!

5. Mav Wong says:

I find this really dumb! Few days back I twisted my ankle, and have a hard time getting in and out of my car even for a certify fit person, for them it will be even worst!

6. Just remember that it is you, who allowed this to happened. #whatareyouexpecting #whysosurprised #youvotedforthisshit #youduncheebye #youduncomplain #youaskforit #blameyourself #gohomecry #fiveyearsofgoodies #welcometosingapore

7. Azlan Ali says:

“Just thinking aloud who did the government consult on such an important matter like this.” hhhmmm… might be some monkeys from mandai example only

8. Just had an encounter with a man at TTSH who had his Toyota Camry (SJF 9734 G) parked in a disabled lot with no disabled label on his car. And he was standing nearby watching to see if anyone came to wheel clamp him. When I stopped next to his car to call the hotline to report him, he started taking photos of my car. We were there for my father’s geriatric appointed and have a Class 2 label, and anyone who knows the TTSH parking situation knows how hard it is to get a lot. I was even willing to get a normal lot as we had been looking for a lot for half an hour and were late for our appointment.

He had to cheek to tell me he could park there without a label. He claimed his wife uses a wheelchair and he rushed to TTSH for an emergency (I assume in relation to his wife). And he said all I needed to do was ask him to move. How is anyone supposed to know he was the driver? It was a lucky guess only because I saw him peering through the glass and checking on the car in question repeatedly.

While I empathise if his story was true, it’s strange that in time of an emergency how he could be standing in the lift lobby keeping a lookout (peering through the glass) for anyone coming to wheel clamp his car or summon him. He only moved when one of the hospital’s security personnel arrived.

9. P.S. Ang says:

Well, how to check. Parking at almost all HDB carparks are sub out to private operators & they are jus as lazy. I have seen many lots designated for loading/unloading, unmarked lots, no parking lots being parked by cars overnight but none of them are being fined. Why? Cos these sub out attendants don’t do their job. All I can see is they come to the carpark entrance, scanned against the signage of the carpark and then they left. This is, in my opinion is to show they came and they did their job.

10. Andy Yeo says:

They changed it is because they do not want to cater more disabled parking lots for the disabled drivers! Hence they come out a new policy to get rid some and squeeze some into it! This is their so called good policy for the disabled! Hahaha… My foot!

Gary Seet ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

This government is truly the pits! Crippled in their minds.. that’s what they are!! Sadly not much we can do with 70% of the people beholden to them. But be sure..Absolute power has its run out date!

12. Andrew Tan says:

A lot of policy makers can’t understand the needs and challenges faced by the needy people. Sad they only know how to type some words on their keyboard and coin it a policy without thinking through if is practical and user friendly.

13. You are in that position to make people’s life easier especially the less fortunate but instead making them miserable..then for what go study like mad..

14. Sunny Sim says:

Hop most of this brainless and heartless policies maker will hit or awarded by KARMA to have thier real first hand experiences and tell us how good and comfortable they feel

15. Don’t forget they are all highly qualified scholars who may not have any driving experience as a handicap. They are good at visualizing scenarios and “classroom” settings.

16. Yusuf Kay says:

They should also check on the Class 1 label holders that are abusing it. I have seen far too many able bodied people driving with Class 1 labels on their cars and parking at disabled lots.

17. Rowena Tan says:

What a bloody idiot! Heartless, no brains is it? Always tell us think outside the box but nvr practice what they preach! Why are we paying outrageous $$$ to ppl who can’t even serve us well?????

18. When one make rules one should consul the proper people than check with people who knows best and get proper eg in other countries before enforce rules. Sad to say we need people who listen to people.

19. Joei Sim says:

Iirc there is one wheelchair bound PAP parliamentarian right? Must be cuz she only ever gets driven around and doesn’t need to do anything herself…

1. All ‘edicts’ like this should have the names and titles of the initiators. Then they will feel the heat. Otherwise, they are just hiding behind the skirts of the LTA.

2. Steven Lee says:

That group of people must have never consulted the handicapped to see their inputs and constraints..

I’m very sure we have a master degree in that group ….

So what have we voted to do such stupid things ??
      Shame on that group which comes up with the new rules …