Digital Journalist – Job brief
We are looking for an enthusiastic Journalist to contribute in to The Independent in a timely and accurate manner. The successful candidate will be a skilled writer with a passion for the job capable of both informing, interpreting and entertaining our readers.
- Conduct research to uncover interesting and significant news
- Gather, corroborate and interpret data
- Interview key persons (witnesses, sources etc.) to obtain more information
- Use findings to construct a well-written article
- Retain awareness of the readers’ point of view
- Obtain first-hand information by being present in happenings
- Receive assignments or investigate news leads/tips
- Comply with the moral code of the profession
- Maintain notes and audio recordings
- Partner with other journalists, editors, producers etc
- Establish contacts and sources for use in future research
- Keep abreast on developments by studying papers, attending events etc.
- Proven working experience as a journalist or reporter
- Portfolio of published articles or newscasts
- Ability to follow strict deadlines and fast-check information
- Current knowledge of headlines
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search, databases)
- Excellent communication and networking skills along with an aptitude in extracting information
- Good observation and deduction skills
- Integrity and morality
- BSc/BA degree in journalism or relevant field
Digital Journalism Interns
We are looking for social-media savvy interns to join our team of journalists.
Who is eligible?
Singaporeans pursuing either a diploma or degree here or abroad, or who are keen on exploring a change in industry.
What do the interns stand to gain?
Up to 6 months’ valuable practical industry experience in a multi-media newsroom of a alternate news organisation.
What skills should interns have?
News sense: Reporters are expected to chase down scoops and developing stories, and break the news via the various media platforms.
Social media: The digital journalist must understand how readers online consume their news, and know how to meaningfully engage them in the conversation.
Multimedia: Tell a story in images and add visual depth to print and online reports. Candidates should have good camera technique and editing skills
How will the interns be selected?
You must include a cover letter, CV and portfolio (if applicable) when submitting your form. Suitable candidates will be invited to take a test and go through an interview. All applicants must be able to commit to a stretch of three to six months for the internship.